Online Mixed Media Classes & Stamps

I just finished taking two online mixed media classes that I thought I'd share some info about with you today.  If you've never delved into mixed media, let me tell you how much fun it is!  The best part about it is pretty much anything goes. There is no wrong way and no right way.  Mixed media is exactly what it says: mixing up different types of mediums to create artwork. The classes I recently took below, will show you lots of techniques that you can try out in your mixed media pieces or art journals.  You can also use your scrapbooking and stamping supplies to create these pieces along with paint, inks, etc. Scroll down and I'll tell you a bit about the stamps I used in my samples.

Christy Tomlinson's "She Art Workshop" just ended last week.  She is rerunning this workshop beginning April 11th.  If you click on this link you can learn more about the class as well as see a video introduction from Christy.  As well, take a look at this video from Christy showing a peek into the class. Through tonnes of videos on a private site, Christy shares her style and how she creates her unique "She Art" girls.  She shares lots of techniques for making backgrounds, and building up layers that are suitable for both the beginner and the advanced student.  Below, you will see a few pieces I created during this class. (Click to enlarge.)

These next two I made using a combination of techniques explored in both Emily's Class and Christy's class.

The next online workshop was with Emily Falconbridge's "Got Paint" class run at Big Picture Classes.  The two classes were running simultaneously so there was much cross-over in the projects I made.  Emily's class was one week longer than Christy's, but did not include any video tutorials.  There were however, organized chats, clear instructional PDFs for download along with step-by-step photos, two audio messages, a forum and private gallery.  Emily's class focused a lot on techniques for building your own customized background papers for scrapbooking or art journaling purposes.   My favourite project was the final mixed media one where Emily demonstrated her style in creating an original mixed media piece of art.  Shown below are some of the pieces I made during Emily's class.

Stamps for Mixed Media Pieces

I used lots of stamps in my mixed media pieces, but wanted to highlight a few favourites that I found myself using over and over again.

This crackle stamp, see below, is a large red rubber "Statement "stamp from Red Lead PaperWorks.  I love the immediate texture look that it gives to a piece.  They also have other "Statement Stamps" that would work great for mixed media as well.  The little dress would work perfectly with a "She Art" girl and I also love the one with vintage buttons and timepiece! I also used some of their bird stamps found here and here.

Another set of stamps that I found myself using a lot were these clear border stamps, "Artsy Banners" from Crafty Secrets. I just loved the old text stamps and the banners.  You can see them in a lot of my samples from these classes.

1. mona
    Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

these are so beautiful! are you using canvass?

2. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Thanks so much, Mona! Some are on canvas and some are on canvas covered board.

3. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Oh, and one is in an art journal – an old book, repurposed. ;)

4. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Just beautiful and inspiring! I love the stamps!!!

5. September
    Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Christy’s class ROCKED!!! So glad to see a formal review of it. So much technique was taught and her videos were just awesome. Thanks so much for posting this!!! She’s offering it again in April!

6. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Angie, I LOVE how these turned out! They are gorgeous! I am off to go check out those stamps!

7. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

wow, i love your projects so much.
    i took the she art workshop too. unfortunately, the last 10 days i had no time to create some new canvases. but your pictures inspire me again i try to find a little timespace to create.

greetings from germany
    Felicitas

8. mona
    Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Hi Angie, I would like to ask, because I watched Christy Tomlinson working on her canvass, perhaps you could tell me what was the white polish (like paint) that she’s putting whenever she’s trying to embellish. Is that a glue or something? I would like to know as where I could also purchase that one.

9. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Hi Mona, Christy would be the best one to answer this question of course, but I’m assuming you are referring to Gesso.

10. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Beautiful!

11. mona
    Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Thanx thanx Angie. I’ll be in her class this April. I am just so excited and I want to know what things I need before the class itself! =)

12. Posted 3 years, 1 month ago | Permalink

Thanks for the fabulous review, Angie. I popped over and signed up for Christy’s April class :)