Ok, I know this isn't very scrapbooking-related, but there seemed to be enough interest when I posted a pic on Facebook and Flickr, so here is a tutorial on making these mini felt houses. They do use a few supplies that you may have in your scrapping stash though. I made these for a craft show/bazaar that my Mom are in this weekend. We are sharing a table! :)
You can use these little felt houses as table decor for a holiday scene, or put ribbons on them to hang as ornaments on a Christmas tree. They could even be stuffed and used as a pincushion (great idea, Paula!).
Ok, here it goes:
- Felt in various colours
- Embroidery thread (in a contrasting colour that will stand out from the felt; separate it into sections of 3 strands each)
- Pattern (click image at right and print out the pattern)
- Embellishments – little crocheted bits, doilies, cut outs of patterned fabric, heart-shapes, flowers from your scrapbooking stash, buttons, ribbons, etc.
- Ribbon – if you are going to use them as ornaments
1. Cut out pattern pieces and then use them to cut out pieces of felt cut to size. I like to use different colours on the same house.
2. Handsew each piece together using a blanket stitch. If you've never done a blanket stitch before, it's really easy. Just put a stitch at the edges of two pieces of felt and then put your needle through the loop before you pull it all the way through. By having the stitches show, you will have a bit of an 'inside-out' feel to the houses.
3. Stitch all along an edge and then add on the next piece to fit the shape of the house.
4. When you get to the end of a strand of thread, end it off by tying a knot then threading it through to a place where it cannot be seen, then snip it in close. (See below.)
5. Handsew on any embellishments.
6. Once the embellishments are added on, then you can stitch the bottom piece in place. If desired, you can add in stuffing before you finish this step.
7. Sew on a section of ribbon to the top of the house for a hanger.