I wanted to share a project with you that I’ve been working on little by little lately. It started with the cupcake template from our Scrapping Spring Project E-Book. This template was for a paper project, but there are other possibilites too.
Using some fabric scraps along with some things from my scrapbook supply stash, I’m making appliques, of sorts. I plan to use these cupcakes on a wall pocket hanger that will hang near Eireann’s bed to hold some of her little stuffed animals. This is a fun little project that is great to keep in your car for some hand sewing when going on a road trip – someone else has to be driving, though… LOL!
fabric scraps – I’m using bits of quilting fat quarters for the bottoms, all different and some fuzzy pink bumpy chenille for all the tops
fabric base – I used a length of unbleached cotton
lace and pompom fringe (from my scrap stash!)
Maya Road Felt Beaded Flowers (also from my scrap supplies!)
needle and thread
cupcake pattern from Scrapping Spring Project E-Book
1. Using pattern, cut out cupcake tops from a fuzzy chenille fabric.
2. Cut out cupcake bottoms from different small prints – quilting fat quarters or other scraps are perfect for this part.
3. Cut a length of lace or ribbon to match the width of the cupcake bottom. Also cut a length of pompom fringe the same size.
4. Lay out cupcakes on background as you would like them to appear. It’s fun to mix and match them a bit. Pin down how you would like them to be.
4. Remove cupcake parts except for the bottom and begin to hand stitch it around edges. Leave a small area open to put in a little stuffing, then continue stitching until it is closed.
5. Layer on the lace trim and pompom fringe on top. Pin as needed and sew these parts down.
6. Overlap cupcake top on edge of fringe and cupcake bottom. Pin down and hand stitch around it. Again, leave an opening to add in a bit of stuffing, then close with more stitches.
7. You can leave them as is or embellish with beads or flowers like the Maya Road ones I used in this example.
Other project peeks from the Scrapping Spring Project EBook including a photo of the cupcake project can be seen here.