Ribbon Storage Ideas

I don’t know about you, but I love ribbon!  There are so many beautiful ribbons available for scrapbooking in lots of different colours, designs and sizes.  How do you store them all?  Ideally, they should be visible and easily accessible for when you are in search of just the right piece to complement a layout.

My own storage solution is not ideal, so I am always on the hunt for a better way to store my embellishments. I have very limited space for my scrapping supplies, so I have to store most of them out of sight and just keep my favourites out.  My favourite ribbons are stored in a see-through zippered baggie.  I don’t have them on spools, but they are individually wrapped on to cardboard ribbon clips from Cropper Hopper. A photo is shown above right.

Here are some ideas we’ve found from others:

Linda Roessler‘s ribbon storage is shown at left.  She says she has over 200 spools and pieces of ribbon, and this is just some of them!  Such a neat idea to have some out on display in an old cd holder.  Notice she has her stamp pads stored this way as well.  (We previously  linked you to Jen’s cd holder turned into a stamp pad holder here.)

My Tiny Robot Heart made her own rack for storing her ribbon.  She has also posted a photo tutorial for how to make one for yourself (or have your significant other make it for you!). One photo at right.

Amber Filkin has her ribbon stacked in a wire basket.  Most of them are accessible to snip a piece of ribbon off without having to take out the whole spool.  Photo at left.

I would love to have the shelving system that Scrapaganza has for ribbons in their store!

This idea from Bean123 is not only practical for a few often used ribbons, but it is also nice to look at too! She has them in a glass restaurant-style sugar jar.  Photo at right.

MasonPaige has her ribbons separated by colour and draped over hooks in her scrap studio.  Photo shown below left.

The Solitary Thread stores her ribbon and trims in a pretty red polka dotted suitcase.  She cut pieces of cardboard, wrapped the ribbon around and secured them with pins.  Take a look at her photo here.

Kelli Caslow has her ribbons clipped up and attached to a shelving unit.  You can see it here.  She says she was inspired by the Clip it Up.

I love the look of this ribbon storage idea from Wren’s Nest Cottage.  She is using an old wire garden basket hung on the wall to store here ribbons.  She also found a willow branch and inserted it through the holes of the spools.  What’s nice is she can also easily snip off a strip as she needs it.  See photo at right.

You can see Emeline Seet‘s ribbon storage idea using clothespins here.  Also, you can use the old fashioned clothespins in the same manner.  Here‘s a photo by Molly Irwin and here also by Ashley Schultz.

We previously posted about Pull-EZ, made by Your Pictured Memories. (Photo at right.) A clear bag meant specifically for storing ribbon.  It has holes all through it in order to feed through, pull out and snip off a piece of ribbon. Due to my space limitations, this may be the route I’ll go.

Do you have a ribbon storage idea to share?  Or, perhaps a good way of storing other scrapbooking supplies or embellishments.  Just send us an email at scrapscene @gmail.com

1. Kristin Townsend

I bought an old ladder with dowl rod rungs on it and I am going to drape the ribbon over them, there is a lot of space between the rungs so it will work and the ribbon will be out for me to make choices from. I got the ladder for 8 dollars at a flea market.

2. jules p

I purchased a big wire basket…and then I used the last method. I pulled all the ribbon through the holes in the wire basket. It looks really pretty and festive in my scraproom. And it is functional. I can see all of the colors and all of the ribbon. Plus..I got the basket marked down (was a little bent) and it was already painted too.

3. Valerie S.

I use “ribbon rings”. Basically you hang your ribbon on little plastic tags called “ribbon rings”. I bought a pack of 30 and have 75 ribbons on them. I bought them at my lss but I think you can get them online too.

Interesting read! I don’t have pics but I store my ribbons that are on rolls in used CD spindle holders. The remainder are just tossed into a couple boxes.

Great mix of ribbon storage ideas! I keep most of mine on a Ribbon Ring and the rest in a drawer in my Crop In Style. :)

i love to store my ribbon in vintage clear or blue coffe jars and ball jars…then each color has a home and I have something beautiful to look at….I also wil use vintage wooden clothespins to wrap them on….L.

Great ideas….

I use a wine box that I got for free along with a case of wine I purchased. I stick the rolls of wrapping paper in the dividers and keep the rolls of ribbons on a dowel stuck into the dividers. That way I can always see my papers and several fit in each slot. You can decorate the box with wrapping paper to make it look better, too. I keep it in my craft closet and it takes up very little space, but stores a lot of gift wrapping supplies.

You’ll want to be sure that any paper you use next to your ribbon for storage is acid-free–I doubt that dry cleaner hanger liners are. Acids will discolor your ribbon.
    Also, it’s best to keep ribbon out of sight (even if not as much fun!) because light will fade the ribbon.
    Wood ribbon holders are questionable because of the acid fumes they produce that would affect the ribbons. Plastics are often OK–just not if they are smelly.
    I liked the Craft Locker ribbon organizer (easy to get one spool if you needed it–the drawers were angled to keep the ribbon in place without a rod)–it’s not made anymore, though.